I just love going on cruises. They are probably the best vacations to go on. You don’t have to worry about anything. You just have to be on time at the dinner table if you want to have dinner when everyone else is having dinner, not that you can’t find something to eat. You probably have several options at the same time. This just goes to tell you that you have nothing to worry about, everything is taken care of for you…you just have to decide what you want to do. Play a game, eat pizza, watch a movie, have a drink, exercise, relax, swim, dance, the list goes on and on. That’s when you are on board cruising.What happens when you are at port?
When you are at port you have three options.
First option is to stay on board and continue doing what you have been doing all along.
Your second option is to take one of the shore excursions the cruise line has prepared with a local shore excursion operator.
And your third option is to do your own thing, in other words go on your own independent shore excursion.
The advantages of doing such a thing are the following eight.
- One thing for sure, its private. You don’t have to be on a bus with another 40 to 50 people, who you don’t know but have to deal with their delays or they have to deal with your pace – slow or fast.
- Its more convenient to go on your own private shore excursion because you don’t have to deal with the big and long lines, to get off the ship, on the bus, at the sites, etc.
- It can be cheaper if you book several shore excursions at the various ports of call or if you are traveling with friends and you all book together – a group of your own.
- You have the possibility to customize your shore excursion program. This way you focus on things you are interested more, do things an organized excursion does not include, or even combine sites you want to see whereas you would have to go on two or three organized shore excursion, which you might not have the time to do.
- If you re with friends, you will be with them, “your people” and use “your transportation” and “your guide”.
- You may even plan a theme shore excursion, just for you. Now on this one you need to use your imagination and the imagination of the company that does things like this. An example would be wine tasting or jet ski racing, and these are just some conservative things you can do.
- On an private shore excursion the guide is all yours. You can ask any question and in general will be more available for you and your party, versus if you were in a group with another 40 or 50 people. In a large group, no mater how willing the guide is and how disciplined the group is, the information the guide can give you is so much and the worse of all its all predetermined, otherwise you get chaos.
- By selecting to go on a private shore excursion you set the time you want to do it, or even for how long you want to be wandering around and about. Just imagine, you reach port at 8 am. Shore excursions are usually planed once you reach port. This means that you either have to get up early to have breakfast and then go on the excursion or get up later and off you go on the excursion without breakfast. In either case you have to deal with the lines and everything else. Or you can have breakfast as you usually do, and with ease go on your tour, the time you want.
These are the 8 advantages of taking your own independent shore excursion when you go on a cruise.
by Panagiotis Achtypis
of Achtypis Tours